I love Italian food and was devastated when I was advised to go gluten-free to relieve my digestive discomfort. Determined to enjoy my favorite Italian flavors still, I created a healthy alfredo sauce I could enjoy on low-carb noodles such as spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles. This recipe is the result and only takes about 10 minutes to make and will hopefully become a staple in your healthy kitchen as it is in mine!
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Alfredo Sauce Recipe:
- All the ingredients are easily digestible for a gentle tummy.
- It only takes 10 minutes to make.
- The simple ingredients are affordable and easy to find.
- It tastes like a classic alfredo sauce with half the calories and twice the nutrition.
How Do You Make My Healthy Alfredo Sauce?
Step 1. Prep The Cheese
Everything tastes better with cheese, and this recipe is no exception. Grate 1 cup of parmesan cheese and set it aside to add to your sauce. Grated block cheese is preferred over pre-grated cheese because it will melt better into your sauce. The pre-grated cheeses are often coated with a powdery substance called cellulose, which also doesn’t melt down.
Step 2. Prep the Gralic
Another essential Italian flavor is fresh garlic! I like to use this stainless garlic press to crush 3 cloves of garlic
Step 3. Make the Alfredo Sauce
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Then dump in the fresh garlic and seasonings and prepare to be enthralled in the Italian aroma that’s about to fill your kitchen 🙂 Stir gently until all the ingredients are combined.
Step 4. Add the Greek Yogurt
Stir in 1 cup of greek yogurt and stir until melted and combined with the butter and seasonings.
Step 5. Add the Cheese
Next, dump in 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese and mix until it’s melted and combined.
Step 6. Thin the Sauce
You can leave the sauce on the thicker side or add 1 or 2 tablespoons of almond milk (or milk of choice) to thin the sauce. Stir until combined. Your sauce is now ready to enjoy!
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy!
Depending on your preference, you can pour the sauce over your noodles as you serve it, or premix the sauce with your noodles and then serve. I love to mix this sauce with spaghetti squash noodles and then serve it with pan-seared chicken.
Healthy Alfredo Sauce with Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese from the block
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grate the parmesan cheese and crush the 3 cloves of fresh garlic.
- Melt the tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the dried seasonings and fresh garlic to the saucepan and stir until combined.
- Add the greek yogurt and stir until combined.
- Add the parmesan cheese and stir until combined.
- Optional: Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk of choice for a thinner sauce. Stir until combined.
after adding thr greek yogurt it started getting chunky any idea why?
This Alfredo Sauce is wonderful! It tasted extra delicious just knowing that it is a heathy sauce!
Thanks for all of your amazing recipes !