Do you love the fancy store-bought granola cereals as much as I do? But maybe you’ve found they can be expensive, and you’d like better control of the ingredients. Then you will love my simple recipe for making a healthier and even more delicious version of peanut butter granola at home.
As a bonus, I had this fantastic idea last night for making incredible peanut butter, greek yogurt, cream cheese, and banana parfait with granola. It will be unique, but you’ll have to read until the end of this post to to see how it turns out.
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Peanut Butter Granola Recipe:
- It’s naturally sweetened with honey without any processed sugar.
- All the ingredients are easily digestible for a gentle tummy.
- It tastes as good as, if not healthier than, store-bought granola.
- The simple ingredients are affordable and easy to find.
How Do You Make My Healthy Peanut Butter Granola with Chocolate Chips?
Step 1: Chop the Peanuts
Pour 1/3 cup of peanuts into a food blender. I like to use the convenient chopper cup that works with the motor base of my immersion blender. Pulse the peanuts until chopped. You can leave the peanuts unchopped if you prefer.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Pour the chopped peanuts, old-fashioned oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, and salt into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir it with a spatula until well combined.
You can also use quick oats, but I prefer old-fashioned oats for granola. The oat flakes are larger, which creates larger clumps of granola. I find them easier to eat as granola cereal in a bowl of milk.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
It works best if the wet ingredients are warm and melted before adding them to the dry ingredients. You can heat the wet ingredients in a small saucepan on the stove or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave. I prefer to heat them in the microwave. Combine the honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla in a microwave-safe bowl for 30-45 seconds until warm and melted. Then stir the mixture with a spatula. Use the spatula to break up any large clumps of peanut butter by mashing them against the side of the bowl.
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until all the oats are coated.
Step 4. Add the Chocolate Chips
Dump 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in the bowl and gently mix. You can use any variety of chocolate chips you like. My favorite is Hu No Added Sugar Chocolate Chips, which are date-sweetened.
Step 5: Spread on Cookie Sheet
Line a large 17-inch baking sheet pan with parchment paper. Cut the parchment paper about 2 inches larger than the pan. Dump the granola into the center of the pan and spread it out evenly using a spatula.
Step 6: Bake in Intervals
Bake at 325°F for a total of 16 minutes. Set the timer for 8 minutes. Pull the sheet pan out of the oven and gently stir to redistribute the granola. Stirring the granola will ensure it cooks evenly. Then return to the oven and bake for eight more minutes.
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Granola
- 1/3 cup peanuts
- 3-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Chop the peanuts in a food processor or chopper cup.
- 1/3 cup peanuts
- Combine the chopped peanuts, oats, chia seeds, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir with a spatula until combined.
- 3-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats,3 tablespoons chia seeds,2 tablespoons coconut sugar,2 teaspoons cinnamon,1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the peanut butter, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, and almond extract in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until warm and melted. It takes about 30-45 seconds.
- 1/4 cup peanut butter,1/4 cup coconut oil,1/4 cup honey,1 teaspoon vanilla extract,1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until all the oats are coated.
- Add chocolate chips to bowl and gently stir until combined.
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Line a large 17-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the parchment 2 inches larger than the sheet pan. Pour the granola into the center of the pan and spread with a spatula until evenly distributed.
- Bake at 325°F. Set the timer for 8 minutes. Pull the sheet pan out of the oven and gently stir to redistribute the granola. Stirring the granola will ensure it cooks evenly. Then return to the oven and bake for eight more minutes for a total of 16 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a cooling rack until the chocolate is cooled and solidified. Store in an airtight container.
This is such a tasty granola!
It’s so easy to make and eating it is even easier….LOL!
What I liked were the “healthier” ingredients that were listed.
I chose to use sugar free chocolate chips, that’s just me.
I would like to let you know how long it stayed fresh, but I can’t.
Someone, who shall remain nameless, attacked it and it was gone in 2 days.
This granola will be in my regular rotation, it’s that good!
Thank you Nicole for another wonderfully delicious and easy recipe.
This is so delicious and filling. Even the milk tastes yummy after the granola is gone!